Four-color or black and white creatives submitted electronically must be
industry standard Adobe Acrobat PDF ﬁles.
- We strongly discourage same color family type on
top of color boxes and will not be held liable for
bad reproduction of such artwork. For instance,
no typeface in shades of auburn over an auburn
- Tone (or Contrast) Reproduction
- Newsprint offers less contrast than text matte or
coated stocks. The darkest four color area should not
exceed 20%, the dot percentage should not exceed
- Dot gain is approximately 30%.
- Reversed type or four-color black type should be at
least 14 pt. and a medium-to-bold sans-serif typeface
is recommended. Dropped-out (reversed) type in a
black only area should be at least 10 pt. medium to
bold sans-serif typeface.
BLACK AND WHITE
- Every continuous tone or halftone image should be
evaluated on an individual basis with an expected
dot gain of approximately 36%.
- Dot gain curves are non-linear; ads will gain more in
their mid-tone values than highlight or shadow.
- All continuous tone images should be at least 170 ppi
at their ﬁnal output size.
- Line art should be at 1016 ppi.
- All supplied ads should have a minimum of 5% in the
highlight and a maximum of 80% in the shadow area.
- Any part of the ad not intended to print solid black
should be created at a maximum of 75%.
- A minimum of 20% contrast between foreground and
background is suggested.
- Type should be kept at a minimum of 8 pt. for
standard or 12 pt. for reverse.
- All type intended to print solid black should be set at
- Surprinted type should be solid black and contrasted
against a 30% or less black screen.
- Reversed or knocked-out type should be 0% black
(white) type on a 70% screen or higher.
- Fine serif typefaces should be avoided.
- We will not modify PDF ﬁles.
- Since we accept only PDF ﬁles for artwork, font ﬁles
are not required. We cannot make font corrections or
any type of modiﬁcations to a PDF.
RESOLUTION AND LINE SCREEN
- All documents are 85 Lpi
- Tiff and Eps images: 300 dpi
- Bitmaps: 400 dpi
Courier Life, Times Ledger, Bronx Times, Caribbean Life,
The Villager, Gay City News, Downtown Express,
Manhattan Express, Chelsea Now, Villager Express
(For The Brooklyn Paper broadsheet scroll down to the next section.)